File A Complaint

The Louisiana State Board of Social Work Examiners is authorized to receive complaints against social workers. Complaints must be submitted to the Board in writing, signed and include the complainant’s contact information. Anonymous complaints are not accepted.

When a complaint is received the administrator first determines if the respondent falls under the board’s purview. Respondent is defined as the applicant or licensee made the subject of a complaint and that person’s legal counsel, if represented. Second, it is determined if the allegations, if proven true, constitute a violation of the Practice Act or Rules, Standards and Procedures. Allegations that do not constitute a violation are not subject to the board’s authority. An example of something not within the board’s authority is a wage dispute between an employee and an employer that is a social worker.

A complaint should include details such as to what happened, when it happened, and witnesses that can be contacted, if necessary. Documents that support the complaint should be provided to the board’s administrator. If the complaint is accepted the social worker will be notified in writing, and a copy of the complaint will be provided. The complaint process is confidential and not subject to public record requests.

Board members as members assigned by the agency to make findings of fact and conclusions of law will not and may not participate in the investigation. No board member shall accept contact or communicate with a social worker involved in an investigation, any person on behalf of the social worker, legal counsel for any party, the complainant, witness, or potential witness. If any of these persons attempt to contact a board member, the board member shall promptly refer the matter to the board’s administrator and/or the board’s legal counsel. This restriction conforms with R.S. 49:960(A) and is not intended to restrict those routine communications which are in no way related to a case under active investigation or adjudication.

To file a complaint, click here.

Back to Top